Tuesday 22 March 2011

Media evaluation - Target Audience

Who would be the audience for your media product?
The target audience for my magazine are 16-21 girls who like indie pop/mainstream music. I found this out through my original audience research when I did a questionnaire asking what kind of things people want in a music magazine and which they like. The ones that liked indie pop music and various other things that fit my criteria were considered my target audience. These happened to be 14-21 year old girls so I decided to make that my target audience even though most indie magazines are aimed at men. However I started my target audience at 16 because I wanted it to be mature.
This is my questionnaire that I posted onto my blog and also onto facebook to get as many different people as I could to see some good results that would help me find my target audience. As you can see below, most people who answered my questionnaire were between 15-21 and over 75% were girls so I decided to make this my target audience because I could see their results and therefore what they wanted.
Due to the fact that the music interests were very varied, I decided to change my magazine slightly from being indie pop to more mainstream music so I could include things that were new and fresh and my target audience likes. 

As you can see from this question, my target audience of 16-21 year old girls have a main interest of fashion and gossip magazines. So to best appeal to them with my indie/mainstream music magazine I decided it was best to include certain conventions of them. To do this, I included articles to do with fashion and the latest news/gossip about music stars as these are features you would find in gossip and fashion magazines.

From the questions I used in my survey;
I found out that my target audience was girls aged 16-21 who were mainly ABC1’s. These were quite feminine girls who had interests such as spending time with friends, shopping, and listening to music. So I incorporated features to appeal to these interests of my target audience.


This photo shows a media pack of the target audience for the music magazine NME. It shows how their audience is mainly male ABC1’s who have a strong passion for music and an average age of 22 (so mainly students). By using this as a basis for my magazines target audience, I was able to work out who I wanted my target audience to be while still appealing to them the best I could with the type of magazine I produced. My target audience obviously has a passion for music as they listed music as a main interest even if they don’t usually read music magazines. However they were girls with a target audience age of 16-21 rather than 18-25. The reason why I made mine lower is because even though it was organised to be mature, the majority of people who answered my questionnaire were young so I know what their opinions are since I have their results. Also because of my age I would obviously find it easier to appeal to my own age group in my product as I knew what they would want to see in the magazines. My ideas were reinforced by the questionnaire results. Discussed below is how I appealed to my target audience through my media product, using music magazine conventions and techniques. There are also results about what my target audience think of my final product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment